Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Whew, happy holidays.

On Tuesday, I taught my last class before the holidays! Yay! While I love my job, I am very ready for a vacation (I know, I know, I’ve already had vacations..). On Friday, ten of us are going to a nearby lake for the holidays. It’s higher in the mountains, so a bit chillier in order to somehow mimic the winter holiday feeling. Lake Toba is a twelve hour bus ride and a two hour car ride away, and I’m very excited. My whole house is going, plus Jesse, Carlos, and a few other friends. We’re staying at a hotel attached to a German bakery that includes breakfast, which I can only hope means pastries every morning.
On Sunday, we had a little holiday celebration of our own. We lit candles on coconuts, and Sarah and I cooked latkes, peroshkies, gingered carrots, green beans, and a blintz casserole. It was all delicious, and even better as leftovers. Tomorrow we’re going to a friend’s house for Christmas brunch and then spending the afternoon baking cookies with our Acehnese women friends. So, it’s the holidays full of food as usual.
Life here has been busy as usual. I still feel like I’m not completely settled in (mainly because our house is constantly under construction) but I’m definitely getting to know Aceh more. Carlos and I spent the day at the beach on Monday, which was completely deserted and beautiful. We ate freshly caught and barbecued fish in a wooden hut, read, and splashed around in the turquoise water. It was a pretty great day. On Tuesday, Sarah and I went to aerobics. I’d heard stories about this wonderful class, but this was the first time I’d actually experienced it. I’ve never seen so much spandex outside of an ‘80’s workout tape. It was pretty incredible and I plan on going weekly. I myself wore purple spandex tights (recycled from Halloween) and a tank top and felt overdressed. It was amazing to see the transformation from fully clothed and covered Acehnese women to sweaty barely clothed aerobics women. I learn something new here everyday.
Happy Holidays!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home