Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Coffee and Mango Scones

This morning Sarah and I woke up just before six to go on a short run through the neighborhood. The sun was still rising, the sky still cloudy from a night of rain. Only mothers and polite men are up this early, making for a peaceful run. I did my first attempt at baking here today and am now enjoying my scone from our own mango tree and that of a friend. The coffee I’m drinking Sarah roasted herself on a trip to Flores. Maybe the butter is imported, but otherwise, this is a pretty local breakfast. Perhaps more importantly, waking up to run and actually having the time and energy to bake, makes me feel like I’ve really settled in here. Yes, I still need to study a map and have yet to see the ocean (which I think is only 15 minutes away), but all these things will come with time. Sarah says there’s a three-week settling in period, so I still get another week and a half...

I always hoped I’d get to have loungey breakfasts with scone and coffee in hand, listening to music and looking out at the greenery. But I hadn’t imagined they’d be coconut trees and tropical plants, and the paper in my hand would be mostly for show-since I can’t quite read it just yet.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home