Saturday, August 16, 2008

Change in the Homestay

I've come to realize that my home stay is a business all its own, a hub for foreigners coming from one adventure and quickly moving on to the next. When I moved in there were three of us. Last week, Zara, the Australian, moved out to begin her two year post in Jakarta doing translation work. The day she left an American my age, Heather, moved in for two weeks of language study before heading out to another part of Indonesia where she'll be for one year. The day after another woman, Christie, also an American with the same program as Heather (Volunteers in Asia-VIA) moved in. She'll also be in Aceh, teaching in a high school next door to the University where I'll be teaching. Immediately following Christie, Ernie moved in. Ernie is originally Malaysian, but has been living in Australia for some time now. He's a psychologist and does cross-cultural leadership trainings in various parts of the world. He was here for just one week and left for East Timor this afternoon. Ernie was full of good stories and taught me some about Malaysian history. His family originally comes from Southern India but moved to Malaysia during British rule. Turns out, Ernie knows another Jewish-Muslim pair. Danielle, Jackie, and I aren't the only Jewslims after all. He was as surprised as I was.
Tomo and I seem to be sticking around the longest. We'll both be here till at least the end of September, Tomo may actually be here a month or so longer. Our home stay family has one little boy. It must be really strange for him to live in such a transient home with so many languages and different types of people. He's taken to saying my name while dancing around, so I say his name just the same way and we both end up looking quite silly.
I wonder who will move in next week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger anne lowe said...

Michelle, who wouldn't dance around when saying your name?

August 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Michelle Ahmad said...

oh anne, i love you!

September 1, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home